Saturday, June 4, 2011

Donor Parts vs. New Parts

It is much cheaper to go the donor car/parts route. I asked Factory Five Tech Support about going the C6 route with a donor car. Factory Five said the donor car has to be a C5. This basically ended my idea of going with a C6 as a donor car and salvaging a LS3 engine.

The other issue I have wrestled with is a new car build with is used car parts. Do I really want to put used parts on a new car? I think I have come up with a reasonable compromise on this issue. I will probably go with a donor parts kit from Fparts for the suspension, cooling system, e-brake, full delivery and miscellaneous parts. Anything that seems really hacked up will get replaced with new. I have also inquired with Fparts about the possibility of getting the telescoping steering column and the newest version of the fuel tanks as part of the donor parts kit.

I intend to spend close to 40% of the build money on a brand new engine, transmission, A/C, big brakes, big wheels and upgrades to the interior, instrumentation, electronics and lighting. If I am going to build a car capable of approaching 200 mph speeds, then I am going to make sure the drive train and power plant are up to the task.

The other reason for going with this approach is the story of Vern and his Miata. He had this beautiful little red Miata for twenty plus years. He knew every bolt, quirk, screw and sound the car made. When the car was totaled in an accident in 2010, Vern was bummed out. I asked him why not pull the new stuff he had just put on the car and get one of the same vintage. Those cars were only running about $5000 to $8000. Vern shook his no, explaining that he wouldn't know what had been done to the car. He knew everything that had been done to his car.

The GTM build is a unique opportunity to know the car right down to the last bolt. So next month, I plan to pull the trigger and purchase the donor parts kit. It will take me a couple of months to get everything cleaned up. Meanwhile, there is the new front end for the Boxster and the Z51 sway bars for the Corvette...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe