Monday, March 11, 2013

Transaxle Purchase

Early on in the planning stage I needed to make a decision between a Porsche G50 or a Mendeola SDR transaxle. Those were the choices. A great deal of discussion has taken place on the Factory Five Forums regarding these options. The G50 can be had in either 5 or 6 speed configurations. There are multiple gear ratio packages and kits to make sure transaxle runs inverted.

The Mendeola was plagued in the early days with delivery problems, but those seem to be old news. There are rumors of a 6 speed version. However, the production runs have been and will be limited runs. The SDR transaxle is a market opportunity as the G50 transaxles were scooped up for various build projects.

The transaxle doesn't exist in a vacuum  There are additional parts that need to be purchased:

  • Flywheel
  • Clutch release components
  • Stage II Clutch
  • Cable shift Assy
  • Pump and cooler kit
  • Bolt Kit
  • Gear Reduction Starter 
The additional parts cost around $5000. I built the budget based on major systems for the car. The transaxle plus these parts represent the second largest cost for the build.

Transaxle cost works out as follows:
  • A properly rebuilt G50 set up for inverted use costs around $9000.
  • A new Mendeola SDR costs around $11,500.
I opted to go with a new Mendeola transaxle. My feeling was that there was less to go wrong with a new transaxle than a rebuilt one. I specified a Mendeola transaxle when I ordered the chassis from Factory Five.

Then I changed my mind.
Seven forward speeds. Two more than the SDR. One or two more than the G50. Factory new (and as of this writing) on a slow boat from Germany.
One of the benefits of not having all the money up front is that I can leverage changes in technology over the three years this is going to take to complete.

Early in 2013, Eric at Gbox posted a thread on the Factory Five forums asking if anyone was interested in a 7 speed 991 transaxle. The same transaxle that is in the new generation Porache 911.

My neck still smarts from the whiplash. Say what!?! Brand new, shipped from Germany, 7 speed Porsche transaxle!!!!

Good bye G50.

Good bye SDR.

Hello 991!

I am bouncing off the walls.
Gbox puts all the parts together and test beds it on an LS block before it leaves their shop for the Northern Man Cave. It is a brand new transaxle that is currently shipping in the 991 generation of the flagship Porsche 911s.

The bad news is this busts the budget. The 991 costs $13,500. Ouch!

Or does it?

One of the items high on the design list were paddle shifters. I contacted Master Shift (my vendor for the aftermarket paddle shift solution) and asked if they had done anything with a 991 transaxle. The answer was no. They had done a 7 speed pattern for a different transmission. I chewed on this for a  couple of weeks. I decided that I did not want to be the Mark I version for an aftermarket paddle shift solution. With great reluctance, I dropped the paddle shifter from the design plan and gained $3000 back to the budget.

The SDR option has the following costs:

  • SDR - $11,500
  • Additional Parts - $5000
  • Paddle shifter = $3000
  • Total cost is $19,500 plus shipping
The 991 option has the following costs:

  • 991 - $13,500
  • Additional Parts - $5000
  • Total cost is $18,500 plus shipping

By dropping back to tradition bump shift and going with the 991. I am $1000 below the cost of a new SDR with paddle shift. This isn't funny money like what happens in Washington. This is my pocket book.

Originally, I had hoped to do the engine and transaxle in 2013. That is no longer going to happen. My concentration this year is the rest of the car and the transaxle.

As my wife's cousin said, "Someone is going to have some fun!"

I certainly am!

1 comment:

  1. Love the Blog, I am building a GTM too and was wondering if you got an adapter for your gearbox?

    ReplyDelete

Search Engine Submission - AddMe