Thursday, April 11, 2013

Steering Column Wiring - signals, lights and horn


<< Mount Master and Power Cells                                  Intellitronix Create-A-Dash >>

Major System Category: ISIS Wiring
Task: Wire up head lights
Parts: Kit wiring
Circuits: 1/1, 2/1, 1/2, 2/2, 4/9, 1/9, 1/5, 1/7
Prerequisite Tasks: Master cell must be mounted, steering column must be installed
Additional Costs: N/A
Time Requirement: 4 - 5 hours
Date Started: April 7, 2013
Date Completed: April 8 2013
I have been operating from my final wiring diagram. This is the wiring bible. If I divert from this, I had better have a good reason. Once I had this finalized, I began working on wiring components (e.g. head lights, signals) to Power Cell #1. Power Cell #1 primarily deals with items under the front hood. Power cell #2 supports components inside the hatch. Everything connects to the master cell via a data bus. The Master Cell is mounted under the passenger dash board and wires are snaked through a conduit above the AC unit.
I had to get serious about organizing the A and B cable bundles on the Master Cell. This is on a hinge that drops down (as pictured) below the passenger side dash board. The AC blower motor is cover in yellow plastic behind the master cell. There is a 2 inch conduit I installed to allow cables to easily move from the master cell to the area uder the driver's side dash board.
The biggest change in mind set for wiring is to realize that the control stalk on the side of steering is nothing more than a switch. The heavy power consumption for conventional wiring (i.e the head light signal relays) are managed by ISIS. These concerns go away. All that needs to be done is to wire the harness for lights, signals and horn to the signal wires that correspond to the circuits. This is still a fair amount of work, but this eliminates the need for in line fuses. 
I separated the cable bundles into their color groupings. Each grouping corresponds to the circuits for  either the A or B connector on a power cell. Everything is color coded, so if you get lost or a tag comes off you can refer to the master list and figure out what's happening. ISIS is expensive, but Jay Harris and the boys have done a great job of thinking things through.
This is the blue plug on the steering column. The first thing I did was extend the wires on the plug. This provides some room for error and slack on the electrical line. I added approximately 1 foot to each of the leads coming off the plug. It is a little hard to read, but each pin on the plug is identified by a letter. For the most part, just follow the chart provided in the build manual, and recognize that in my case I am wiring to ISIS not the Painless Wiring Harness. There are some changes to how this works.
This is splice between the extending wires from the steering column and one of the ISIS master cell wires. I have been pretty good about applying heat shrink to the splice, then wrapping in black electrical tape.
On my plug there were two wires for high beams coming out of pin K. I wired both of them to my extension wire. Next I sorted the Master Cell wiring harness by color groups. Next I selected the 8 signal wires corresponding to the circuits and separated them. These I pushed (from the Master Cell) through the conduit (to the steering column). The manual indicates that pins X, Y and Z need to wired to the battery positive. For ISIS, these are wired to ground.

Component
Power Cell / Circuit
Master Cell Wire
Blue Plug Pin
Right Signal
1/1
White – Black
B

2/1
Yellow – Black
B
Left Signal;
1/2
White – Red
C

2/2
Yellow – Red
C
Dash / Parking
4/9
Light Blue – Yellow
R
Horn
1/9
Blue – Yellow
V
Low Beam
1/5
White – Green
L
Hi Beam
1/7
Blue – Red
K
Ground


N, W, X, Z

This photo isn't the best, but it shows the blue plug on the steering column with extended cables .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe