Saturday, June 30, 2012

Kit Physical Inventory


<< Arrival                                                                        Kit Disassembly >>


Major System Category: Misc
Task: Physical Inventory
Parts: All
Prerequisite Tasks: Take Delivery
Additional Costs: N/A
Time Requirement: 1 - 2 hours
Date Started: June 29, 2012
Date Completed: June 29, 2012


The driver shakes your hand and wishes you good luck. So here you are with a dream, a body and chassis, a bunch of boxes and an envelope. (Clue: Open the envelope.)

Each box is labeled with a general description (e.g. GTM Options, Seats). There are a couple of heavy boxes, but nothing that you can't handle by yourself. I was lucky. My friend Vern came over after work and helped me get everything stowed away in my storage locker. A ten by ten space easily holds everything plus my rims and tires. The rest of the donor parts are in the basement.

I know most of you forgot about the envelope, Who cares about paper work, when you have a GTM sitting in your garage! Go get the envelope. Trust me!

The envelope contains two things. A detailed inventory of all parts and what box they are in. So go get your three hole bunch and insert this in your three ring binder. The other thing it contains is any additional instructions for the build manual. BTW: Where is that build manual? You have 20 boxes. So you have a choice:
  1. Read the detailed inventory.
  2. Shuffle through 20 boxes.
Imagine that. The detailed inventory identifies which box contains the build manual. Go find the box, open it up and look for something roughly square in a white cardboard box. There were four such boxes in box number 1 (the box identified in the detailed inventory). I found the build manual on the third try. (I hope I get better at this.)

One thing that isn't in the envelope is your certificate of origin. On the first page, there is a notation that Factory Five is mailing you the certificate of origin and chassis serial number plate.

As I mentioned previously, I have a build spreadsheet that I maintain on Google Drive. This allows me to access it from multiple devices and locations (e.g. smart phone, tablet, laptop). Since I have multiple storage locations (e.g. man cave, storage locker, neighbor's garage) and there are a lot of parts to keep track of, I created a new page that identifies box and/or part (e.g. splitter) and the location. Nothing fancy, but trust me you're going to working on this for a while.

Okay. Enough paperwork. Go back to drooling over your car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe