Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fog Lights Mount


<< Mount the hood                       Forward Parking Assist - Circuit 3/9 >>

Major System Category: ISIS Wiring
Task: Mount the Fog Lights
Parts: Kit fog lights
Prerequisite Tasks: Hood needs to be mounted and bolted into place
Additional Costs: $27 Fog Light Brackets
Time Requirement: 2 Hours
Date Started: October 2, 2012
Date Completed: October 2, 2012
I did not even bother figuring out what the Factory Five method was for mounting the fog lights. I had an order ready for Shane at Vraptor Speedworks, so I just added these to the list. Vraptor has many good ideas and everything they sell has a practical application for the car (in this case my sanity).
Left to right: Bracket that comes with the fog light, Vraptor bracket, Vraptor bracket attached to fog light.  I painted  my brackets gloss black.
Since I have been working on the hood, with momentary lapses back to the sanding tasks related to the hatch window and roof scoop, I decided to get the lights mounted. I need to do this anyway before or after I purchase the ISIS system. This purchase has been delayed due to the assessment that modifying the Corvette fuel tanks is an exercise in futility.
Close up of mounted fog light.
The major gotcha in this process is the presence of the brackets used to attach the hood to the hinges. Murphy's Law is alive and well, because those hinges may just be placed to interfere with the mounting of the fog lights. I ended up whisker close to one of the hinge brackets. Fortunately there is enough room to make minor adjustments. I used the steel template, drilled my holes for the bracket. Then I test fitted the bracket and light until I had a reasonable certainty that the attached bolts would go through the holes. This is one of the very nice things about these brackets. The bolts are fixed, so you can just attach the washers and nuts from inside the hood.
Another shot a little further back.
Once I was satisfied with the bracket fit, I drilled a final 1/4 inch hole (watch out for those hinge brackets!) to thread the leads through. I moved everything into place, and tightened the lights down. Another small step in giant puzzle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe