Sunday, August 25, 2013

Exhaust Vent

<< Rear Body Louvers                              Shaved Handles >>

Major System Category: Body (Shell)
Task: Cut the two openings for the exhaust.
Parts:
Prerequisite Tasks:
Additional Costs:
Time Requirement: 1 hour
Date Started: August 22, 2013
Date Completed:  August 22, 2013
I had not planned on cutting the exhaust vents at this point in time. However, I went through my collection of scrap fiber glass (basically, pieces that have been trimmed from the car already), and discovered I didn't have a piece large enough to cut plates for the shaved door handles. It didn't occur to me right away, but the exhaust vents offer a large enough piece for the door handle plates.
Even though I flubbed drawing the line, I did cut it straight.
This is a very straight forward task (that requires a modicum of ingenuity to get done). If you think that's a contradiction, then you haven't been building a GTM for the past year. The build manual instructs to measure 8.5 inches from either side of the center indentation where the license plate is mounted. Note: The indentation is slightly trapezoid  so measurements need to account for a slight difference top to bottom.
Here are the cut out pieces for the exhaust vents. Now I can form the plates for the shaved door handles.
I used a Dremel tool and a die grinder with cut off wheels to make the initial cuts. My preference is the Dremel tool, because it is easier to be precise. There some difficulty in getting the small Dremel cut off wheel inside the indentation to get all the way through the fiber glass. Once I had some initial cuts made, I was able to enlarge from the inside portion of the body shell. I had to be careful so I didn't get a cut going at an angle. Next, I took a reciprocating saw to finish the cuts, then a sanding block to smooth out the cut edges.
Old license plate just to see how it would look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe