Thursday, August 1, 2013

Order Kit

Order Kit:

I ordered the kit in April of 2012. This is after about 10 months of planning and preparation for the car. So it was a big day to sit down at my computer, pull up the Factory Five order screen and actually start entering the information for the car and delivery. I'm bouncing up and down, because I was really doing the steps to order my GTM Supercar Kit. Did I know how hard it was going to be? Did I know I would really enjoy so much of what the next years would entail? Did I have a good handle on everything that needed to be done?

No.

How did I get here?

Some time in 2011, I sat down and evaluated my sports car collection. Actually, the collection only has 2 cars: a 2003 Millennium Yellow Corvette Convertible, and a 2000 Metallic Arena Red Porsche Boxster. I had a laundry list of things to do on both of these cars. I knew I wanted a third car to round things out, but what?

I tracked Ferrari 355 Ebay sales. At one point, I'm pretty sure I knew every 355 up for sale in the country. I ultimately decided against the Ferrari, not due to initial cost, but the maintenance tail. I wasn't sure I could keep it running.

Simultaneously, I watched Porsche 928. I remember going to the Minneapolis Auto Show with my dad the year this car came out. I was a junior in college. They had an engine under glass on a turn table. I loved the lines, the power, everything about the car. Of course, there was no way I could afford that car. I was having a hard time affording my Chevy Vega. I didn't know I would go another 33 years before I finally got to own a Porsche. I decided not to pursue this car, because of the nagging issues for cars that had low mileage and had just been left to rot in garages for 20 years. 

I stumbled (as so often happens) across the GTM. This car had the subtle sleek lines I love in the Ferrari. It had was based around a Corvette C5, and I figured I had the same generation Corvette in the Southern Man Cave, so there was a familiarity. It used a Porsche G50 transaxle. Gee, it has Porsche parts, so I liked that idea. It used a Corvette engine. Okay, something that is cheaper to maintain than a Ferrari power plant.

I didn't know at the time, I would build my GTM around a LS376/525 6.2 L power plant, or that I would jump at the chance to upgrade the transaxle to the 991 7 speed Porsche Transaxle straight from the factory. Of course, there was the little catch about having to build the car.

Hmmm, can I build a car?

I guess the jury is still out on that question. I think I can, and failure is not an option.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe