Saturday, May 28, 2011

Are you crazy or something?

I didn't go to bed one night and wake up the next day with the dumb idea that I am going to build a car. This is one of those year long conversations that results in waking up and saying, "Yeah, I think I can build a Factory Five GTM super car."

Build a car or buy a car? Of course, it is much easier to buy a car. I had my eye on a Ferrari 355 Spyder. I could probably swing the purchase price, somewhere between $45,000 and $65,000. I did not have qualms about purchasing a used sports car. I already had purchased a Corvette C5 Convertible and a Porsche Boxster 986. The prospect of digging into the car and mapping out modifications did not daunt me. However, the idea of a $10,000 engine out service every 3 years gave me pause.

I can come up with space for one more sports car. My preference is a Ferrari, however, my wallet is not quite up to the task of Ferrari maintenance. So if not a Ferrari, what kind of car compliments a Corvette and a Boxster. It has to handle like a Boxster, roar like the Corvette and have the Ferrari's wow factor. The performance specs for the GTM are as follows:
  • 0 - 60 in 3.0 seconds
  • 0 - 100 in 6.6 seconds
  • 1/4 mile in 11.0 seconds @ 132 mph
  • Curb weight 2350 lbs
  • Corvette suspension
  • LS Series engines
  • Either a Porsche G50 or Mendeola transaxle
  • 245/40/18 front tires
  • 335/30/18 rear tires
  • Z06 Big Brakes
  • Koni coil over shocks
The GTM looks fast and drives fast. It is exotic and fits the current definition for a super car.

So it begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe