Monday, May 30, 2011

First Things First: Kit Detail

Once I decided to build the GTM (not something I came to overnight), then I had to figure out how to cash flow the project. If I had the ready cash to purchase all the components needed for the build, then I have the ready cash to buy the Ferrari and handle the maintenance. Since I concluded I didn't have those kind of resources, I needed to come up with a preliminary budget. I want my GTM to be unique (or as close to unique as possible). Let's be honest here, I want the final result of the build to be a rumbling, roaring beast capable of 200+ mph speeds and exceptional handling (the big grin kind of car).

The kit is the single most expensive component for the build, with engine and transmission coming in second and third respectively. Over the next couple of posts, I am going to detail the process of coming up with a budget and a purchasing order for the build. As it turns out, the kit is not the first thing I plan to purchase. However, we need to start with the kit (and options), due to the dependencies generated by the kit's composition.

Factory Five has an on line order form that details the base kit plus options. At this point, I am undecided about the carbon fiber splitter and rocker panels. I do not want a racing wing and I don't know if the donor will have a telescoping steering wheel. Since the Big Yellow Toy has one, I am inclined to get one here as well. The cost break down for the options I do want are as follows:

  1. Base Kit - $19,990
  2. A/C Unit - $1,350   (There is no way I am not going to have A/C as this will be a summer car)
  3. 18 inch Wheels - $1,299 (This is a no brainer. I can't put the big brakes on the car without the big wheels)
  4. Fender Louver - $199
  5. Roof Scoop - $199
  6. Logo Floor Mats - $115
  7. Car Cover - $275
  8. Cold Air Intake - $399  (Power! Power! Power!) 
This totals out to $23,826 plus shipping and handling. Let's just say it is $25,000 for round numbers. Granted I don't need all of these things right away, however, I want to optimize shipping costs by purchasing the major components in one shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe