Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Build Task List

The idea of a kit car build is daunting. Professionally, I am a database administrator. I wrench on my Corvette and Boxster as a hobby. The idea of a tubular chassis, boxes full of parts, an engine and transaxle getting dropped off by the Fed Ex guy should be enough to make me reconsider. Let's start with some givens:
  1. The GTM will probably cost more than the Ferrari 355.
  2. There will be times of great frustration.
  3. Things will break or get messed up during the build.
  4. It will take time.
  5. It will cost more than I think.
So how do I figure out if this is even possible? Buy the build manual. For $10 Factory Five will sell you the GTM Build Manual in PDF format. There are lots of pictures. The first 200 pages deal with salvaging parts from a donor C5 (more on this later). The next 500 pages explains how to build the GTM. Here is the break down:
  1. There are 142 tasks defined.
  2. Some tasks are much more involved than others.
  3. They cover everything from attaching the suspension, mounting the engine, running the brakes lines and wiring the car.
  4. Less clear is the build order for these tasks, and dependencies between tasks.
  5. There are no considerations provided (e.g. LED lighting options, dash board gauge packages, powder coating exposed parts).
There are many things listed in the build manual I have never done. There is nothing in the 142 tasks that I think are beyond my modest capabilities. Here are my conclusions:
  1. The wiring, drilling, riveting and wrenching are straight forward enough.
  2. I don't have to build the engine or transaxle. I just need to purchase them, get an extra pair of hands and mount them in the chassis.
  3. The GTM is based on a Corvette C5. I already have a C5. Many of the parts are familiar to me. I get how they attach to the car.
  4. My familiarity with the C5 makes the GTM seem much more accessible. I get the technology, and I understand how to maintain it.
There is one other thing, it will cost more than I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe