Tuesday, June 14, 2011

GTM Body Shell

Part of the prebuild planning stage is to figure out how to store the GTM body shell.
One solution is to build a body buck (click for plans). If I had the room to do this, I think this is the best solution. Originally, I thought I could build the body buck and store it under the deck. Since I had that thought, my HOA has gone after the little kiddie pools and slides stored under my neighbor's decks. They would probably blow a bolt if I stored the body shell there.

My next idea was to store the body shell off site. This creates logistic problems. I plan to have the kit delivered by Stewart Transportation. These folks are going to show up, off load everything, pat me on the head, wish me luck and drive off. Now how do I get the body shell to my off site storage location - not very easily.

So we come back to on site storage. The body shell consists of 2 doors, rear hatch, front hood (it opens like Corvette C4) and the rear 2/3s of the body. Over all length is between 14 and 15 feet. Width is 74 inches and overall weight is 150 pounds. I believe I can remove the doors and the front hood. I estimate that should reduce the length down to around 10 feet and over all weight to about 100 pounds.

Two sets of Racor Bike Lifts should be sufficient to suspend the major body shell component from the garage ceiling. The rest of the kit build can be stored down stairs in the mechanical room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe