Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rear Hatch Fitment


<< Initial Measurement and Mounting                             Rear Hatch Hinge >>

Major System Category: Body (Hatch)
Task: Sanding and fitment
Parts: Hatch
Prerequisite Tasks: Preliminary body mount
Additional Costs:
Time Requirement: Unknown - take your time
Date Started: August 30, 2012
Date Completed: August 31, 2012
I decided to start with the hatch, because it is really a fairly simple piece for fitment. Unlike the doors that can take weeks to get right.
Again, I am referencing the appropriate YouTube video for this section of the car. This video covers more than just the hatch.

Hatch upper right.
Hatch upper left.
Hatch Lower right.



Hatch lower left.

There is nothing fast about this process. I set up a sanding station. I put on a 3M mask, safety glasses, and ear protection. I am using a Dewalt 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a medium sanding disc to trim material off the edges of the hatch. The passenger side seemed to fit perfectly. I was high on a number of areas on the driver's side.

The area where the hatch narrows proved to be a problem. I discovered the high spot was underneath the hatch piece. Eventually, I got that sanded down so the hatch lay inside the opening with a fairly even gap. This is the easy part. The hinges and the gas struts can alter this fitment.

The bottom of the batch is going to pop up, because the latch is not installed. With regard to the latch, I am investigating a popper mechanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe