Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Between Purchase and Delivery

I purchased the kit ten days ago, and it is due to arrive in eight weeks. In terms of physical preparation, the build site is ready (and has been for the past several months). One of the first planning steps I performed was to analyze the build manual. I derived 142 major tasks as result of this analysis. Those tasks relate to the basic car, no frills build that incorporates a donor parts kit. Since I decided to go with a new engine, a donor parts kit was a cost effective solution for my approach to the build.

Besides the donor parts kit, I have purchased a radiator, numerous electronic gizmos, wheels, a big brake kit, Porsche 930 CV joints and probably some other stuff tucked away with the Corvette donor parts. I have the donor parts list, I have a generalized parts list for the basic kit, then there are the additional parts I've purchased and the options added to the kit. In my master spreadsheet I have 3 worksheets dedicated to parts lists. The Factory Five kit comes with a inventory sheet and each of the boxes are labeled. I still need to do a physical inventory as one of the first tasks.

The other thing I did was review the initial major task list and add to it the additional tasks created by options I have added to the build. Currently, the number of major tasks is somewhere between 185 and 190. I've created a list of the major tasks. My intention is to link a blog post to each task that shows what I accomplished, what additional costs are involved and how long it took. Hopefully, I will also develop considerations for different tasks as I go forward. The intent is to create a comprehensive build log for the GTM. I also hope it is broad enough to a generalized build log for other component car builders.

The first tasks I need to perform are intermediate tasks between dismantling the donor and starting the build.
  1. Remove and store the body shell.
  2. Perform a physical inventory.
  3. Remove the sheet metal parts that are delivered attached to the chassis.
  4. Powder coat all exterior exposed parts.
I really hope this doesn't take too long. I really want to start turning bolts and getting the build to the point where it is off jack stands sitting on four tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe