Monday, April 16, 2012

The Build Phase (or my inner Frankenstein)

Once I made the decision to evaluate the GTM, I ordered a digital copy of the manual. It is a 700 page behemoth. I needed to determine whether or not there was anything I couldn't do. 
"A Man's got to know his limitations," Dirty Harry - Magnum Force 1973. 
There are things that still seem a bit hazy, but after tinkering on the Corvette and the Boxster these past couple of years, I think I can figure them out. Plus, I'm not going to build the engine or transmission, I am going to drop them into the GTM as finished modules and hook them up (easier said than done). After I digested the build manual, I broke it down to 144 major tasks. I can ignore the first 200 pages (as they deal with dissecting the donor). I purchased a donor parts get from Fparts.
Donor parts kit as it arrived on a single pallet (July 2011). My understanding and patient wife assigned me a corner  in the basement where I could store everything.
My initial analysis of 144 tasks does not take into account variances to the build that have been added since I started the planning phase. These include, but are not limited to:

  • ISIS Power management replaces standard wiring.
  • Paddle shift replaces stick shift.
  • Ram Lift augmentation to Koni shocks.
  • Additional sensors for parking, lane assist, tire pressure management.
  • Digital gauges replace kit gauges.
  • Kooks exhaust system replaces kit exhaust.
  • The addition of roof scoop, splitter and rocker panels to standard body.
  • Multifilament LED replacement for most lighting.
  • Additional seat heaters.
  • Carbon fiber wrap enhancement to various parts of the car.
  • Sound deadening and heat shield enhancement to the build.
  • Sway bar addition to standard suspension.
To facilitate these tasks in the build log, I am creating new index page for the build phase. Each major task will have a separate blog entry. Photos will be cataloged to the albums on the Super Car Build Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe