Tuesday, April 24, 2012

LaneFX - Blind Spot Assist System

Recently, I was driving behind a brand new Porsche 911 and each time we came to a traffic stop, my radar detector went crazy. I figured out that this Porsche had some kind of driver assist system. Many new high end cars are offering driver assist or blind spot assist systems. So what about the aftermarket (and more importantly in my case) the component car builder.
This is the wiring diagram for the LaneFX control module. It is on page  9 of the  current installation manual. LaneFX is wired into the power mirror controls and gets power from there.

My build plan includes the following driver assist systems:
  • Forward Camera
  • Rear Camera
  • Front Parking Sensors
  • Rear Parking Sensors

My concern regarding the GTM are blind spots. I think I have planned for the forward and rear parking situations with both audible and visual systems. However, blind spots emerge when driving at speed. This isn't a problem when I drive the Boxster or Corvette and top is down. I basically have a 360 degree point of view. This changes dramatically when the top is up. The GTM is a coupe with a fairly small rear window.

LaneFX is an aftermarket system that connects to your power mirrors. Basically, LaneFX rotates the side view mirrors to check the blind spot, then they rotate back automatically. This is activated either by a control button or the turn signal. The website shows ten different ways LaneFX can be used. The get consist of the following:

  • Control module
  • Left and right wiring harnesses
  • Mirror in Motion LEDs
  • Activation buttons
I talked to IsisPower and asked if they had done anything with LaneFX. Jay indicated that they hadn't work with it yet, but it should be fairly straight forward. I also learned most people have opted to keep the window controls as is from the C5 donor car. That makes it easy. All I have to do is make sure I have circuits assigned to the mirrors.

    1 comment:

    Search Engine Submission - AddMe