Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Gas Pedal


<< Pedal Box Install                                            Brake Line Bracket (front) >>


Major System Category: Fuel System
Task: Install the gas pedal
Parts: Donor gas pedal (may be labeled fly by wire throttle)
Prerequisite Tasks: Install the pedal box
Additional Costs: N/A
Time Requirement: 2 hours
Date Started: July 27, 2912
Date Completed: July 27, 2012
The gas pedal is attached by two rivnuts or bolts to the chassis frame where the steering column comes through. I'm not really enamored with the rivnut approach, but I understand that it is expedient if you plan to change gas pedals somewhere down the line. I've never found the need to change a gas pedal in any car I've owned.
This is the fly-by-wire pedal from the donor corvette.
The kit includes to hex head bolts to screw into the rivnuts. I'm not really sure why the hex head bolts were chosen. It is a real pain to get an hex wrench that far into the driver side foot box. I departed from the manual and went with 1/4 inch bolts and nuts. This is not without a certain level of frustration. I found that I could run the top bolt through and clamp it to the chassis. This allowed me to get my hand back there with tape wrapped on fingers (so the nut and washer stuck to the tape) and get the nut and washer on the stud. After that it was just a matter of using a long extension on a ratchet and open end wrench to tighten things down.
Top bolt. Orientation from bottom to top is  front to back.
The bottom bolt is harder to see.
Consideration: After you drill through the chassis for the two holes that secure the gas pedal, you should debur the back side.

Finished product. I still need to get the steering column taken care of. However, I think it is a blessing in disguise that I ran into problems, because these jobs jave been easier to complete without the steering column being attached.
Consideration: Make sure the brake pedal can move without interference from the gas pedal. It is real easy to make a mistake here. There is not a lot of room for error.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe