Tuesday, October 4, 2011

58x Crankshaft Signal Converter

When I purchased the donor kit from FPARTS (see posts Donor Parts Kit (purchased), Donor Parts Kit Arrives, Donor Parts Kits (Catalogued)), I received an engine harness and PCM for the LS1 engine. However, I plan to purchase a LS376/480 crate engine and this presents a problem.

The LS1 engine harness and PCM are not compatible with the LS3 engine. The reason for this is the LS1  is a Gen III engine and the LS3 is a Gen IV engine. This change took place when in 2006. The major problem is the Gen III engines us a 24x reluctor wheel and the Gen IV engines use a 58x reluctor wheel. This is the crank signal protocol. Basically, a 58x signal does not work on a 24x harness and vice versa.

The oddity is the 2005 Corvette (the first year of the sixth generation Corvette) in that it has a LS2 Gen IV engine with a 24x reluctor wheel.

My initial thoughts were that once I got everything running on the GTM with the LS3 engine, I would run to Ebay and put the LS1 harness up for auction. Conservatively, the engine harness and PCM represent about 20% of the donor kit cost, plus the cost of a new harness and PCM compatible with the LS3 is around $1800 - $2000. That's a swing of $3000 - OUCH!

There's a better way. I read in  GM LS-Series Engines: The Complete Swap Manual that Lingenfelter Performance Engineering makes 58X - 24X Crank Sensor Trigger Conversion Module.
For $250, I can purchase a plug & play module, salvage my investment and save $2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe